The School and Parent Council would like to thank all Sciennes parents and carers for their support and enthusiasm for the CEC’s School Streets project. We can already see a huge improvement in the traffic situation outside the school at these critical times. In particular the streets are significantly quieter on the days when we have volunteers from school and parent community standing on the streets drawing the drivers’ attention to the restrictions.
To help reminding the drivers of the scheme after two weeks of holidays, would you be able to volunteer for one slot in the first fortnight after the Easter Holidays? If you can help, please sign up in the doodle poll and read the by brief guidance for volunteers below. Your support in any capacity makes a real difference to our children and for that we are truly grateful.
Kristel Torokoff, Parent Council Chair and Alison Noble, Head Teacher
Doodle Poll Link – http://doodle.com/poll/tzxtrb96sa55wkb2
SAFER SCHOOL STREETS – GUIDANCE NOTES FOR VOLUNTEERS
* All volunteers should wear a hi-viz vest/jacket either your own or one provided by the school. These are available from the school office. Please be at the school 5 minutes before your allocated slot to liaise with the other volunteers on rota that shift.
* Stand where you are visible and well in advance of the flashing notices so that you can easily point to the notices if anyone is in any doubt about the road closure. Also this gives drivers fair warning to divert and avoids the need for U-turns.
* In general you simply have to direct approaching traffic away from Sciennes Road i.e up Tantallon Road if you are at the east end and down Sylvan place if you are at the west end. If you are at the bottom of Livingstone Place then please keep the traffic flowing east or west and away from Livingstone Place.
* A few, but very few, vehicles are allowed through. Blue badge holders collecting or dropping off children to the school; emergency vehicles, valid permit holders and patients going to sick kids. HOWEVER WITH THE EXCEPTION OF EMERGENCY VEHICLES THESE VEHICLES SHOULD BE ADVISED TO GO EXTREMELY SLOWLY.
* Never at any point become involved in any lengthy discussions or in any altercation – your role is simply to direct the traffic with a smile!