It is wonderful to see you all after the summer holidays and it is good to start another fun year at Sciennes. Here is a quick gist of what was discussed on Aug 30th meeting.
Mission for EFG: in respectful Partnership with the School, the community and each other, to enjoy engaging and including as many people as possible, doing or giving as much as they are able, to increase opportunities and raise funds benefitting the pupils of Sciennes, all in accordance with the School’s aims and objectives.
We mainly talked about plans for the year ahead. We now have a new member of staff who have joined us – Shona. Welcome, Shona, and we are very happy to have you join the team.
The first event to plan is the P1 curriculum on September 14th 2017 (Thursday).
The Comedy Quiz was a huge success last year and we feel that we could do another one this year if Richard Melvin is willing and able to spare an evening in October after the half-term break. We discussed about having an international evening. However, it was held 3 years ago for bilingual families and served a specific purpose. We agreed not to have it this year.
Thank you to both Nikki Sinclair and Claire Marshall for agreeing to do the tea towels and Christmas cards respectively.
The school has given us the theme of “Young People’s leadership” this year. Keeping this in mind, we have agreed to get the P7s and P6s involved (if possible) in the Winter fair and perhaps, more of the younger year groups involved in the Summer fair. It was agreed that Lucy will get the word out to the students and the staff regarding this. Further, any child/ren who is/are working towards their JASS awards can feel free to help with the parents evenings teas/coffees by collecting money and get their papers signed to collect JASS points
We further discussed about the sponsored event for this year and there was a general sense of everyone being tired of the Swimathon. Fun run was suggested as an alternative with a serious option for those who wanted to do a serious marathon. It will be put to the Students council again to see what they come up with. Fiona and Bethan, thank you once again for your suggestions.
Again, this year, we have decided to go with one family Ceilidh event on February 1st (Jan 25th being Burns night) if it is convenient for June Underwood. The discos worked like magic last year with the P7s making posters and many staff staff turning up to support and help. Lucy will find out if the P7s and/or P6s will be able to do it this year too and Jane has kindly agreed to help as well as get other staff involved this year.
We further discussed the ideas of having blankets in the playground along with the usual stalls at the summer fair. However, LeeAnne mentioned about possibly having to obtain Trader’s licence for that since we will not be just making money for the school. It was agreed that we will again try to get the road closed via school for the summer fair this year to allow netball and football clubs to have activities out on the road.
I think we had a pretty productive meeting and best of all we were done way before 8 pm!
Thank you all for your continued support and help! Hope to see you all the next meeting on 6 November 7-8 pm in Room #16 when we plan to discuss our plans for the Winter Fair. Have a lovely half-term break!
on behalf of the EFG